Friday, April 2, 2010

Business Rate - rip off

Hello everyone..

I should have put this in November when we were notified that our rates were going from £4800 per year to just under £12,000.. (I'm doing this as I've just been told my Rates problem got on the radio wales)

Well I hit the ceiling, asked everyone, even contacted Wendy (our previous accounts manager) Wendy confirmed that we have only paid about £400 per month..

so you can imagine from my surprise when I was hit with this, Every business is struggling, Newport is going downhill, we sticking allowing the developers to change things and make Newport better.

We are members of several Business Groups, and the same thing is mentioned time and time again, NEWPORT is not New anymore more its needs something urgently..

Several business I have spoken to stated Newport is killing itself.. the City Council (CC) just don't really care.. Look at the town, We did not purchase our premises in town as the rates to high. we moved to Maindee area, outside of the town, in a residential area, were the building was falling apart.

I gave the task to our office manager to find out what can be done, she informed me the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) said if they came down it could increase even more. at this point I was angry and very disappointed, in our city, but said tell them to come.

Early December we had a visit from 2 People who I think where from VOA, a male and female. The male opened a folder which had drawings in it (rough drawing in pen). and basically told me I would be paying the new rate as the old one might be wrong.

I tried to explain and tried to show them around, but they just said that was final and I could appeal in April. I even told them It means I have to let someone go to cover the costs. but they I guess were the messengers.

During January I got our new office Manager Jennie and myself to call all support agency's the chamber, Business Federation, different clubs and Mr Google. eventually between all this we found:

http://www.mybusinessrates.gov.uk/
http://www.voa.gov.uk/business_rates/
http://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/Home.aspx
http://www.valuation-tribunals-wales.gov.uk/Index.htm
http://wales.gov.uk/topics/localgovernment/finandfunding/nondomesticrates/?lang=en
http://www.ratesrecovery.com/

We found some forms, and made more calls, assumed nothing was going to happen, then in march we had our Rate Bill (hay happy day's for now..) its £430 per month totaling £5160 (I still recon high) but can live with this.

What I don't understand is Newport is failing in all areas. Schools, Homes, Businesses, there are more thugs out now then ever before, I guess that's what city status brings. But why does the Council not help. we all in this recessions.. some rubbish I heard that we are on the way to recovery. (dream on.) People are still wondering if they will have a job, companies are still being forced to close.

This is not going to stop in one go! I see this happening for a few years.

Who is going to benefit from the Rider Cup? well? I've been pushed to the side, as its been signed up by large American companies. (HP, etc..) I thought WAG was tiring to push welsh companies. but I see the same thing happens.. outsides get in. forget the local businesses. (I may create a new rant about this).

The BBC Radio Wales (1/4/2010) Snippit : (no its not April fools..)


http://sites.google.com/site/a2zcomputingltd/files-found/BBCRadioWalesJannet-Rates.wav?attredirects=0&d=1

No comments: